- About Us
- Our Focus
- Our Work
- Corporate Partners
- Non Profits
- Affinity Groups
- Get Help
Yes We Can Read Program
Yes We Can Read Children's Initiative
Partnered with Grail Family Services & Alum Rock School District
The Yes We Can…Read!™ Children’s Initiative is a collaborative effort by United Way Silicon Valley, Grail Family Services, Alum Rock Union School District, San José Public Library, and other local community partners to support young children’s literacy development and later academic achievement in East San José.
This Initiative is a collaborative effort focused on East San Jose, and has three major components.
• Parent Engagement Workshops: A series of two-hour Parent Engagement Workshops (4 to 6 per semester) for parents led by a facilitator and involving the classroom teachers. Focused on increasing parents’ use of literacy strategies, parenting skills, and building teacher-parent partnerships and parent to school relationships.
• Family Literacy Nights: Through a partnership with a local branch of the San Jose Public Library, family nights are offered twice per semester that focused on the importance of and strategies for reading with children. These are fun, engaging events.
• Community Volunteer Reading Mentors: We recruit and train volunteers from diverse sectors of the community including college students, corporate professionals, and retired teachers to mentor kindergarteners and first graders one-on-one for 30 minutes each week in reading, oral language, and literacy skill development.
Work with children in Kindergarten and 1st grade in East San Jose to increase reading and early literacy skills. Open up a world of fun and adventure by becoming
a Reading Mentor Today!
Related document: Mentoring Flyer (PDF)
- Work one-on-one with 2 students for an hour a week at Dorsa Elementary School or San Antonio Elementary Schools
- Choose a time slot that works best with your schedule (Mon. - Fri. between 8:30-2:30)
- 8-10 week commitment
Get Involved Today:
Questions: Contact Pearl Cheng; 408-345-4390.
In Partnership with: