Get Your Taxes Done for Free

United Way Silicon Valley Partners with the IRS and Other Organizations to Offer Free Tax Assistance Services to Low-Income Workers

SAN JOSE, Calif., January 10, 2012
– United Way Silicon Valley is working with a coalition of financial institutions and nonprofit and government agencies, including the Internal Revenue Service, to connect eligible local families  to free tax services through its Earn It! Keep It! Save It! program. People who qualify for free tax help can find the nearest Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site by calling 211 or visiting These VITA sites are located at various churches, libraries, nonprofit organizations, and community centers in Santa Clara County and across the nation.  View Press Release (PDF)


NEED TO GET YOUR TAXES DONE?  We’ll do your taxes for FREE!
Earn It! Keep It! Save It! – Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)  offers free tax help to hard working individuals and families from Santa Clara County.

United Way Silicon Valley partners with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), churches, nonprofits and other organizations to offer you free tax help.  Tax preparation services are provided by trained, IRS-certified volunteers in a number of languages, including English, Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Russian. 

How Do I Qualify for FREE Tax Help?
Volunteers are trained to prepare basic 2011 Forms 1040EZ, 1040A, 1040 with Schedule A, B, limited Schedule CEZ, C and California State Income Tax returns ONLY!  

  • Your income must be less than $50,000
  • You CANNOT be filing as Married, Filing Separate return

When are the FREE Tax Sites Open?
Free tax sites are open from January – April.  Limited tax help is available after tax season.

Where Do I Go to Get My Taxes Done for Free?
Free tax sites are located at various churches, libraries and community centers throughout Santa Clara County. Call 211 for site locations and hours of operation.

What Do I Bring with Me?
The following items are needed to prepare your tax return:

  • Proof of Identification—Drivers License or Photo I.D.
  • Social Security Card or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for you, your spouse and dependents
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • W-2, 1099s, 1098s and any other tax forms you receive
  • A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns if available
  • Voided check for direct deposit

How Do I Get More Information?

  • If you qualify for FREE tax help, please call 2-1-1 or log on to: to find a local VITA site near you. 
  • To sign up to receive more information about our free tax service, please use our form.

Give. Advocate. Volunteer. LIVE UNITED